Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Last Week at Longwood





What?!! Last week?! How can that be? This has gone too fast! Well, Monday I had an incredible “behind the scenes look” at Longwood with Mark Richardson, Student Programs Coordinator that was just the best! He took me up on the roof of the Conservatory, above the arabesque glass ceiling of the Ballroom to show me the elaborate tracking equipment used to clean the panes, under the Outdoor Theatre to the performers dressing rooms and then to the basements and tunnels of Pierre Dupont’s vacation home. Really cool! Thanks Mark. I really enjoyed it. Then that afternoon I got a chance to sit in and help out Joan McClintock and her team, Julie and Susan, annotate next years Course Catalog. We had a fun time brainstorming. Powerful, Smart and Beautiful. Oh, my!

Tuesday, I worked all day with Lee and Marie in the Banana display room, removing and recabling plants for safety and health reasons. Then the rest of the day was helping Marie repot Phalaenopsis and Cattleya orchids.

Wednesday morning was spent helping Designer Jim Sutton and Karl Gercens decide on which plants to substitute in the Conservatory and Brick Walk areas. And in the afternoon I got a chance to visit with Missy in the Visitor Center dealing with ticketing and later with Jane in the gift shop. Each took time to show me their respective areas and explain challenges they encounter.

We took an intern field trip to Wave Hill in New York on Thursday. What a beautiful place. An unbelievable panoramic view of the Hudson River, a water garden (check out the cute frog I took a picture of), conservatory, art museum and eclectic vegetable and herb garden are what await you at Wave Hill. It was a long bus ride there and back but totally worth it!

Friday morning, I got a chance to sit in on a meeting with Kate who is in charge of the K-12th grade education program. She and the staff of the Ashland Nature Preserve are planning a 3-day workshop for teacher’s to learn how to install a nature habitat into their respective schools. They discussed training the teachers on how to construct raised-planting beds, composting techniques, after-installation maintenance tips and logistics involved. With the way these three coordinated the meeting I have no doubt they will have nothing but success come next June. And in the afternoon I got more research training helping Plant Research Intern, Jason process soil samples.

And last but not least, I’d like to thank all the staff at Longwood who took the time out of their days to let me see into a piece of their very busy workday.




No comments: