Saturday, July 12, 2008

Intro to the Triad Internship

Hi, my name is Toni. I am a senior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in beautiful central California finishing up the Environmental Horticulture program there. I have never been back East and when our professor Mr. Hannings told us about the Triad Internship I jumped on it. I'd love to go back East! This is a brand new internship started by Ed Moydell with Longwood Gardens in cooperation with the University of Delaware. Here, one has the choice of selecting three (from a list of approximately thirty) public gardens from which to internship. I choose Chanticleer, Longwood Gardens and Mt. Cuba Center. I will stay two weeks at Mt. Cuba Center, four at Longwood Gardens and then the last two weeks at Chanticleer. They are providing housing at Longwood and will be reinbursed for travel expenses. Normally the program is for three weeks staying one week at each garden. But since I am out-of-state I have to pay the University of Delaware out-of-state tuition fees ( I guess this is more of a class than an internship per se) and because for me it is quite expensive I asked if it was possible to work for a few more weeks to recoup the costs. So, that is why I will be there for eight weeks instead of the three originally offered. This, I appreciate for I would not have been able to participate if not for the extra weeks work. So I will keep you up to date and informed as to how this internship goes. I am really excited about it and will upload some pictures to let you in on my little adventure!

No comments: